Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sweet Satisfaction

I can't even express my joy over finishing this dress (Simplicity 3833).  My dad bought me a sewing machine when I was sixteen along with a dress pattern and some fabric.  My sweet girlfriend (whose name happens to be Joy) and her mom taught me a few basics and I was off and running. 

In my sewing naivete I was fearless in the projects I dived into. It wasn't until I got a little older and began to realize that how a garment fit and all the little finishing details like topstitching, interfacing, drape and so on really did matter. After that realization sewing lost its joy as one garment after another did not meet my new eye for perfection.

A few years ago I read the book, "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell in which he dissects what makes one person achieve phenomenal success over someone else who aspires to but doesn't.  In case after case it turned out that practice, about ten thousand hours, made the difference.  It wasn't talent nearly so much as drive and desire - combined with logging in practice time.

So after YEARS of avoiding garment sewing, I just decided I would get started putting in my "ten thousand hours" making garments.  I decided in advance I would not get mad or frustrated if something I made wasn't perfect.  So...after a number of failures, each of which taught me something - here I am wearing something I made that I would actually wear out in public!

JOY! 

2 comments:

  1. Cute little dress. I like what you wrote about garment making. I cannot remember much of my instruction in sewing, I learned on my Grandmother's lap and have always had a machine at my disposal. BUT, my dissatisfaction, about the garments I made not being PERFECT made me turn my time towards crafts.

    I may just have to get those patterns back out. I remember a quote from unknown source....It isn't a failure it is just an experience that puts you one more step closer to success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is cute! Of course, you look great no matter what!

    My thoughts exactly. The last time I tried to make a dress for myself, I gave up 3/4 through it, knowing it wouldn't fit right. (yet it's still in the closet...)Mom used to make so many of my dresses, (including my prom dress she and I designed) that I have her as a standard, and I know I'm not there.

    I'm hoping once I try some things for Gracie, I can try again for me. I have sooo many cute patterns- my own collection plus my mom-in- law's.

    ReplyDelete