Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Project #1 and I'm on my way!


Had the day off this Monday and after getting caught up on chores - you guessed it - I got out a skirt pattern I knew would work (or was pretty sure it would).  Up to now I have been sewing a size 10 pattern and would be puzzled at why my garments fit so poorly.

After taking a private sewing lesson this summer, I learned how to check the pattern pieces for finished garment sizes.  That information which is printed on most pattern pieces along with the amount of design ease added in helped me know (before cutting out) what size would work best for me and if I needed to alter the pattern first.  Shaunna showed me how to alter patterns to make them more "petitable. This lesson preceeded by a great class I took LAST spring on altering commerical patterns from Austin School of Fashion Design helped me feel a little braver about tackeling alterations.

So...half a month into the new year and I have my first project cut out! I'm using this pattern on a wool fabric I was given by a friend years ago.  I'm so excited to see if I really can turn out at least one sewing project each month.  Of course I have a bag 3/4 done from back before Holiday madness set in - and an apron I need to cut out and sew up for my best friend - it is her VERY tardy Christmas present.  This is where the real challenge is - not can I find inspiriation, or get projects started but can I get them DONE?!  We'll see - for now I'm off and running....

No comments:

Post a Comment