Friday, November 6, 2009

Identity Trajectory

I have discovered that I overwhelmingly get my sense of identity from the roles in my life. I am a mom, I am an employee, I am a creator of hand made items, I am a baker, I am a reader....so on, you get the idea-

It never once occurred to me when I became a mom that my boys would ever grow up. Indeed, I think if I had ever really thought about this, I would never have given my dented heart so freely to the all-encompassing role of being a mom.

I have loved so many things about being a mom - baseball games, rough and tumble play, elementary school parties and field trips, having a safe place to pour out all of my heart's affections.

Suddenly, I find I am confronted by the fact that these boys of mine are nearly men. I realized this a few years ago when the three of us sold our first home, a small starter home and looked for a larger home to live it. We looked and looked, and slowly it began to sink in to my head that we would only live together as parent and children for a short while longer. Therefore our new space would have to meet the needs of three, but be do-able for one later on. Ouch -

I also saw that realization as a potential gift. I could either be sad, perhaps even guilt them into staying as long as possible with me to keep me company; or I could give them the gift of freedom - guilt free. I could choose to spend this precious time enjoying them more at the same time that I could begin to carve out more of a personal life for myself.

Just what would that even look like I wondered? I often find that when I am ready to grasp something new - then new opportunities come my way. Last year a precious friend paid my way for me to join her at a speakers and writers conference. For the first time ever, I contemplated if speaking and writing could be a part of my future, if this could become a new identity I could try on. I have also been reawakened this year to a love of dancing that has brought new vitality and joy to my life.

As my primary role of parent travels all too rapidly toward the trajectory intersection of empty-nester and the rest of my life - I want to spend each day taking small steps towards meeting that intersection with purpose, with joy, with passion and with excitement - not arriving by surprise, empty handed, empty hearted.

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely place you have created! You're going to have "sew" much fun decorating it with recipes, crafts, book reviews, photographs, and stories about life experiences. I look forward to being a part of the rest of your life. : )
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special blog! I look forward to reading more of your posts.
    Cherrye

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have many important things to say, and you express yourself so beautifully. Thank you for being willing to share your life, your heart, with the women of the world.

    ReplyDelete